As an educator, you’re already making a difference. But what if you could influence what happens on the building-level? Could you be the person who helps teachers feel more empowered? Who knows how to bridge differences, build consensus and develop a school atmosphere where faculty, staff and families support one another in their common mission to nurture citizenship, critical thinking and a thirst for knowledge?
The University of Wyoming makes it possible for you to get the training you need to become a K-12 principal-conveniently and on your own terms through this 100 percent online program.
What is Educational Leadership?
Emphasizing courses in leadership issues specific to education such as instructional leadership, curriculum development and community relations, UW’s online educational leadership program will also ground you in practice through an in-depth supervised internship in elementary, middle and high schools.
The UW educational leadership master’s is a practice-forward program that qualifies you for Wyoming principal certification, readying you for building principalship.
Master of Arts Program Admission
February 1 - If applying for following fall, or spring semester.
September 1 - If applying for following spring, or fall semester.
GRE: no requirement
TOEFL: 550 minimum written or 80 minimum online, OR IELTS: 6.5 minimum overall score
GRE: 147 min in each subtest and 4.0 minimum on analytical writing
Must have a minimum of 3 years teaching experience
How to Apply
Step 1: Apply to UW and the School of Counseling, Leadership, Advocacy and Design through the online applicant portal.
- Access the UW graduate applicant portal. Make sure to use the corresponding application admittance semester indicated above.
- After completing the initial information page, you will receive an email from the system including a link and your temporary username and password.
- Please complete the contact, academic, residency information, etc.
- Submit the application fee
- Submit ALL required documents to the online document portal (see below for details)
- Agree to admissions terms and submit your application
Step 2: Submit official copies of transcripts to UW Admissions.
UW Office of Admissions
Knight Hall 150
Department 3435, 1000 E. University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071
Phone: (307) 766-5160
Toll Free: (800) 342-5996
Please include ALL documents listed below in order for your application to be considered.
- A letter of intent describing why you want to be an educational leader
- A current resume
- Copy of current teaching certificate
- Unofficial copies of transcripts (official copies should be sent to UW Admissions)
- A completed principal program application
- A superintendent approval form signed by the superintendent of the district where you plan to perform your internship (scan and upload)
- Current recommendation letters addressing leadership skills from three different referees (the portal will send a request to each of them after you enter their email addresses):
- two from referees who are familiar with your leadership skills
- current principal