Feb 28, 2024
The BS/MS Quick Start program is designed to present highly qualified UW students with the opportunity to begin graduate study while they complete their BS degree in Petroleum Engineering. These students may apply for admission during their junior year.
Quick Start Program Requirements
The BS/MS Quick Start program in Petroleum Engineering (PETE) is designed to present highly qualified UW students with the opportunity to begin graduate study while they complete their Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Petroleum Engineering. These students may apply for admission to the Quick Start program during their junior year or before starting their senior year.
This program allows for early planning of the graduate portion of a student’s education and provides more flexibility in the number of required courses and the order in which they are taken. The more efficient and better planned use of time should result in reduction of the time required for obtaining the Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering degree. Students who enter the Quick Start program must accept primary responsibility for actively planning their Programs of Study to assure timely completion of their course work and research programs.
The Quick Start program contains two essential elements:
- Qualified students may receive provisional admission to the Petroleum Engineering graduate program prior to completing the normal application process. This provisional admission will permit students to make their long-term educational plans earlier in their studies, thus providing enhanced opportunities for course selection and involvement in research.
- Students in the program may apply up to 6 credit hours of 5000-level courses toward both the B.S. and M.S. degree programs. By completing successfully up to 6 credit hours of graduate classes during their senior year, these students will have demonstrated their ability to do graduate-level course work as undergraduates, easing their transition to the Petroleum Engineering graduate program.
For additional information, visit our website for admissions information http://www.uwyo.edu/petroleum/undergraduate/current-students/quickstart.html or contact our graduate admissions coordinator at email@example.com.
Quick Start Prerequisites
Cumulative GPA of 3.25.
PETE GPA of 3.50
3 letters of recommendation, at least 2 from PETE faculty at UW.
Transfer Students’ Requirements
Must have taken at least two of the three required PETE courses listed above at UW.
Transfer course work must be from an accredited institution and deemed equivalent to current UW PETE core courses.
Must have completed at least 15 credit hours of PETE course work at UW prior to starting the Quick Start program.
Quick Start Program Retention
Prior to completion of the BS degree, students must:
- Complete all requirements for admission to UW graduate school and the PETE graduate program.
- The Graduate Records Examination (GRE) requirement will be waived.
- Additional English proficiency testing for admission is also waived for international students.
- Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 in their overall undergraduate program.
- Maintain a GPA of 3.5 in their PETE courses.
- Maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 in 5000-level (graduate) courses.
- Failure to complete graduate admission requirements prior to the start of the final year of undergraduate study will result in immediate suspension from the program.
- Failure to meet any GPA requirements places a student on academic probation for one semester.
- If the GPA requirement is still not met after academic probation, the student will be suspended from the program.